5 Ways to be Proactive about Your Health
You don’t have to be on the defense when it comes to your health. Take control of your health with these five steps.
1. Schedule an annual exam. Take advantage of the preventive services your insurance provides such as screenings for blood pressure, cancer, cholesterol, obesity, and Type 2 diabetes. It also includes counseling to prevent health problems.
2. Know your family history. Does cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure or stroke run in your family? Make sure to tell your doctor which family members have/had these issues.
3. Educate yourself about your health. There are local and national support groups to help you with gathering and sorting information about a health problem and they can also make recommendations to doctors, clinics, counselors and lifestyle programs.
4. Understand your insurance. Read your insurance guidelines and understand what is covered and when to go to the emergency room vs. urgent care. You don’t want to be socked with a bill due to your own negligence.
5. Create healthy habits. Get enough sleep, keep hydrated, start and stay on a healthy diet, get enough physical activity and quit smoking.
Having health insurance is important but is no substitute for a healthy lifestyle!